« December 2006 | Main | February 2007 »

January 25, 2007

I'm Elite! W00t!

travel freqent flyer northwest airlines If you fly a lot, get on a good mileage program like the one from Northwest Airline.

So what’s with the title? Last year I flew a few times, to the tune of over 25,000 miles with Northwest Airlines, and my WorldPerks membership was upgraded to Silver Elite status. The main thing I’m going to enjoy: getting on the plane prior to general boarding. I know Northwest saves 10 minutes by doing this, but I still find it… I don’t know… rude? annoying? that after exit rows, first class, and WorldPerks Elite and SkyTeam Elite members board, EVERYONE boards. Personally I would rather lose the 10 minutes and board by row rather than be hearded in like cattle into the JetWay.

I’m Elite! W00t!

Posted on January 25, 2007 10:46 AM by northw137.

My First Mileage Run Of 2007!

travel northwest airlines worldperks logo A Northwest Airlines frequent flyer pro gives up the secrets of the trade.

My First Mileage Run of 2007: Northwest Airlines posted a mistake fare of between $125 and $160 for a one way Vancouver, Canada to Chattanooga, TN ticket booked into Y-class. Because it’s a Y-class ticket and I’m a frequent flyer, I get an immediate and free upgrade to First Class too!

My First Mileage Run of 2007!

Posted on January 25, 2007 10:46 AM by northw137.

The Buses Are Full, So Take The Plane

travel jet blue washington war rally It's practically first class when you fly Jet Blue to the peace rally.

Hey Folks! If you still want to join your friends and neighbors in the greatest peace march of the 21st century, then get on Jet Blue and don't you stew for as low as $39. each way dude!

The Buses are filled, so take the plane for $39

Posted on January 25, 2007 07:36 AM by jet bl133.

January 24, 2007

Help Virgin America Take Off

travel airline cabin design Will more competition improve airline cabin design?

Here’s a chance to encourage better design of airline experiences. Goodness knows the industry could use some more design-based competition; in addition to Jet Blue (isn’t this what air travel should look like by now?). Go to Virgin America’s website to petition the U.S. Department of Transportation to allow them entry into the market. After my less than optimal experience on Northwest this past week (their seats are narrower and the pitch is shorter than many airlines), I would welcome Virgin here.

Support Design - Help Virgin America Take Off

Posted on January 24, 2007 07:40 AM by jet bl133.

January 23, 2007

Negative Is The New Positive

travel southwest airline angela vargo Click through for more information on this blog panel which includes Angela Vargo from Southwest Airlines.

Southwest Airlines is lucky to have Angela Vargo who spearheaded the Southwest Nuts about Southwest group blog all the way to the executives and now has a thriving group blog that even includes customers blogging. At one point, the CEO left a post brainstorming about changing the open seating policy to an assigned seating policy. There were hundreds of comments that rejected the notion and Southwest was able to build better service from listening to this interactive focus group.

Blog Panel: Negative is the New Positive

Posted on January 23, 2007 02:50 PM by southw138.

Roll On

travel jet blue cabin Great deals at Jet Blue!

Mike and I are expecting quite a decent tax return because of the house and our student loan interest, so we may be going to the Fazed: Vegas gathering. He’s going to have to pay for it because I am dead broke, owing money to medical institutions all around this fine city. I spent the last of my Christmas money to get prescriptions that make it so that I can get up and move around daily. Anyway, we’re also likely going to Cleveland, which, while not being much of a vacation, is a city I’ve always loved. And of course, there’s my requisite Rhode Island trip. I can’t pass that up as plane tickets through Jet Blue are extraordinarily cheap right now.

Roll On

Posted on January 23, 2007 07:37 AM by jet bl133.

January 22, 2007

Time To Fly!

travel airline ticket Lots of people looking for travel deals and cheap airline tickets.

Well, it’s time to get my travel planner ready and go find those cheap airline tickets that I need.

Pippin , it’s time to Fly!

Posted on January 22, 2007 07:44 PM by airlin124.
Filed in Travel Blog under airline tickets.

Paying Our Weigh

travel southwest airline overweight passenger From a good post on vices, some questions about overweight flyers.

As we took off, my mind wandered to luggage and personal poundage. Most airlines charge for luggage over a certain weight - say, 40 lbs. for carry-on and 50 for checked baggage. Should similar restrictions, and resulting price points pertain to passengers? In 2002, Southwest Airlines began enforcing a program that required folks whose bodies extended beyond the bounds of a single seat belt to purchase two seats. That raised some eyebrows. In fact, I’m not sure we’ll see real “variable” pricing for airline tickets anytime soon (and our “overweight” status I’m sure could have been a function of luggage).

Paying for Our Vices

Posted on January 22, 2007 02:51 PM by southw138.

January 11, 2007

Tired Travel Stories

travel tired travelers Some travel stories are better than others.
Just to be a contrary old bat during the terribly cheery and determined New Year, there are a few travel destinations/stories/ideas that have really been flogged to death by major travel magazines and Web sites. It’s a big planet; can’t we find something else to explore and talk about?

Blah, blah: overused travel stories � TravelBlog Archive � Family Travel

Posted on January 11, 2007 09:16 PM by bcs. .

Vacation Travel In Montana

travel montana mountains Click through to find out about all the vacation travel Montana has to offer.
Montana is a vast and varied state of mountains, canyons, river valleys, forests and caverns. It's the 4th largest state in the nation but with our popularion under 1 million, it's actually the sixth least-populated state. Ah... there is room to breathe and nowhere is the air fresher.

Vacationing in Gold West Country - Montana — Fish Creek House

Posted on January 11, 2007 09:13 PM by bcs. .

Traveling To Lake Erie

travel lake erie monument A good post on a great trip to Lake Erie.
The first instalment saw Gretchen and I heading north to the Western Basin of Lake Erie. Anyone that has lived in Ohio for an extended period of time will know that the “lake” is Lake Erie and the “river” is the Ohio River. But anyhow, this was our annual trip to Maumee Bay State Park and Marblehead Light House.

Sadie’s Take on Delaware Ohio � Blog Archive � A Day Away: Western Basin, Lake Erie

Posted on January 11, 2007 09:08 PM by bcs. .

January 03, 2007

A Trip To The Global Village

travel global village egypt If you're in Dubai, check out the Global Village
Friends were singing praises of how big it was, how fun it was, how they nabbed bargains for products brought in by vendors from all over the world. We were so psyched up that we weren't going to miss it for the world when the Global Village opened again a week ago.
Click through for lots more pictures of the exhibits.

Life As Such ... There, Here and Everywhere: Global Village - the world's biggest pasar malam

Posted on January 3, 2007 02:02 PM by bcs. .