« June 2006 | Main | August 2006 »

July 22, 2006

Starwood Preferred American Express Card

travel starwood preferred american express card A comparison of credit card point systems here.

Remember, the Marriott charged me 30,000 points for 1 night. On the Starwood card I get an easily redeemed (even before special offers and free nights) 3.6% return vs. Marriott’s pain in the ass 1.2% return on their card. Northwest Airlines offers a card at a dollar a point as well. Getting to from LAX to NYC and back (with significant restrictions) would cost you 25,000 points, worth $378 at NWA.com for the exact same flights. That’s 1.5% of highly restricted return on investment that you may not be able to redeem if they go belly-up. United Airlines is much the same. Discover Card gives you greater flexibility but only 1% cash back. I haven’t seen any cashback cards that go over 2% except for certain types of purchases.

Recommendation: Starwood Preferred American Express Card

Posted on July 22, 2006 09:43 AM by northw137.

No Turning Back

travel northwest airlines japanese food Have a nice Northwest flight!

Today I made flight reservations via Northwest Airlines. I’m flying from Portland International Airport to Narita International Airport on September 11, 2006. Trust me, that was not my choice for a flight date (I even get to pay an additional $2.50 fee for “September 11 Security”).

There is no turning back

Posted on July 22, 2006 09:43 AM by northw137.

July 14, 2006

Saving On Travelocity

travel london This blogger recommends Travelocity for business travel savings.

Yet, check Travelocity and you’ll see that a flight from New York to London takes as little as 6 hours, 25 minutes and is non-stop! Better yet, on Virgin Atlantic I came up with a round-trip air fare of $551 US, just over half what I paid to travel within North America.

Underground Seminar Early-Bird Discounts End July 15th

Posted on July 14, 2006 04:42 PM by travel139.

July 13, 2006

Armor

travel armor Linguistics lessons for Russian travellers.

I also learned that the Russian word for “making a reservation” is the same as the word for “adding armor to”—бронирование [bronirovaniye]. I guess it means you’re protecting your room from anyone else using it. It sure looks odd, though. You can do the same with airline tickets.

Armor

Posted on July 13, 2006 07:42 PM by airlin124.
Filed in Travel Blog under airline tickets.

Happy Birthday, Red Line

travel red line los angeles From a fun post on the Red Line in Los Angeles, this bit about taking Amtrak to Florida.

I could even make good use of Metrolink, on the condition that there was a train available for people traveling the wrong way. I could now cross counties with only one transfer. If I were to include Amtrak, I could theoretically go as far as Florida and only have to leave a vehicle once. Of course, the train would take over three days, and I’d have to pencil in being a day and a half late. And the destination is Florida, after all.

Happy birthday, Red Line

Posted on July 13, 2006 07:42 PM by amtrak126.

July 09, 2006

Driving Through Italy

travel amalfi coast Why travel to Italy when you can drive through Italy on the Internet?
Driving through the Amalfi Coast. [The video is actually a picture that you click on which wasn’t apparent in Firefox but worked on Explorer.]

The Happy Hausfrau � Videos of Driving in Italy

Posted on July 9, 2006 12:23 PM by bcs. .

July 06, 2006

Cruising For A Bruising

travel p and o australia The fine points of a P and O Australia cruise.
The word "cruise" has several meanings. As a noun it means "an ocean trip taken for pleasure" while as a verb it can mean "to sail or travel about for pleasure, relaxation, or sightseeing" and "to look for a sexual partner in a public place."

The Business of America is Business: Cruises and Cruising

Posted on July 6, 2006 12:30 AM by bcs. .