« April 2006 | Main | June 2006 »

May 30, 2006

Pinko Trains

travel amtrak station Unhappy Amtrak passenger here.

I spent a little time with my old socialist friend Amtrak this passed week. It was such a wonderful experience I thought I better blog a tribute. So here it is:

Pinko Trains

Posted on May 30, 2006 07:41 PM by amtrak126.

The Late GF

travel united jet When O'Hare gets backed up, everyone is late.

The poor GF she has the worst luck flying her flight to Germany left over 2 hours late yesterday(no she wasn't on NorthWorst) United Airlines but the delay wasn't their fault O'Hare was backed up by Massive Thunderstorms and when a airport like O'Hare gets knotted up it takes a while to untie it. I haven't spoken to her yet she had a 2 hour train ride after the flight so she is still in transit as I write this. But I know the plane made it to Frankfurt in once piece so that worry is over I really hate it when she flies.

The Gruppenfuhrer is in Deutschland this week

Posted on May 30, 2006 04:44 PM by united140.
Filed in Travel Blog under united airlines.

May 25, 2006

Amtrak To Rockford

travel amtrak station rockford A drive to get Amtrak service to Rockford, Illinois.

If Amtrak can make stops in Elgin, Schaumburg, Arlington, O’Hare, and any other major suburb on the way (I’m not sure of what train line it would take), then it makes perfect sense. But if that train service is going to be Rockford downtown to Chicago downtown, it’s going to miss many opportunities for those commuting from the west burbs to Rockford.

Amtrak to Rockford

Posted on May 25, 2006 07:40 PM by amtrak126.

Boston Airport

travel southwest airlines manchester airport Will Southwest Airlines fly into Manchester or Boston Airport?

Boston dignitaries are taking a second look at two airports in New England that aren’t in Boston but want to use the name. First off was the airport in Manchester, New Hampshire, about 55 miles northwest of Boston’s Logan International Airport, and the site of one of the first forays more than a decade ago into the region by Southwest Airlines.

Playing the name game in Boston

Posted on May 25, 2006 01:41 PM by southw138.

May 24, 2006

Summer Vacation Before The Internet

travel travelocity web page Click through for a review of the best travel website.

I think the world rejoiced when web-based travel sites came out. Orbitz, Travelocity and such changed our lives. I can’t even remember what it was like before them.

Summer vacation

Posted on May 24, 2006 04:42 PM by travel139.

Back In The USA

travel delta airlines germany Some observations about Delta Airlines from a trip to Germany.

• Delta Airlines has very friendly service and pretty decent food. The "extras" on the plane--video service and so forth--left a great deal to be desired. Overall, I wouldn't be adverse to flying Delta to Europe again, but I'd try to book United, SAS, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, or any number of other carriers first.

Back in the USA

Posted on May 24, 2006 12:40 AM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Just Missed It!

travel new orleans international airport Never flown through MSY on Delta.

So if you passed through MSY (New Orleans Int'l Airport) on Delta Airlines sometime between 1991-1993 I probably worked your flight. I was that young college kid telling you that you needed to sober up or I couldn't let you on the flight. :-P

Missed it by that much!

Posted on May 24, 2006 12:40 AM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

May 20, 2006

Have Passport, Will Travel

travel passport Mexico and Canada aren't such bad places for foreign travel, but there's a lot more of the world to see.

Actually, I don’t have my passport yet, but I pulled all the documents together yesterday and applied for one. For whatever reason, this feels important to me. Other than Mexico and Canada, I have never been to a foreign country, but I desperately want to travel.

Have Passport, Will Travel

Posted on May 20, 2006 08:40 AM by mexico136.
Filed in Travel Blog under mexico.

Last Day In Mozambique

travel holiday inn mozambique Click through for the Mozambique video.

Last hours in Mozambique, I stayed less than 24h hours, but really enjoyed it to the max. Enjoying the beautiful holiday Inn, then making some dollar transaction with Bang & JD. Then going to the plane and speak lingala with a pretty stewardess…

Last day in Mozambique

Posted on May 20, 2006 04:41 AM by holida131.
Filed in Travel Blog under holiday inn.

May 19, 2006

Can Airbus Catch Up?

travel air france airbus 318 From a post on the competition between Airbus and Boeing.

A lot has changed over the past twelve months. The price of fuel has spiraled and the need for fuel efficiency has morphed from being important to critical in terms of airline operations. Fuel surcharges have ameliorated some of the pain. But, as pointed by Air France’s CEO, sudden fuel price shocks cannot be handled easily since airfares are already contracted. Airline operations are based around a similar business model to that of supermarkets. The customer pays cash while the supplier holds off paying vendors for 120 days or more. This is a great model when business is stable because the middle man (airline or supermarket) builds up a cash mountain. Since airfares are paid in advance of the flight, any item (like fuel) that costs a lot more at the time of service delivery really eats into that mountain quickly.

The Medium Twin Market – Can Airbus catch up?

Posted on May 19, 2006 07:41 PM by Air Fr115.
Filed in Travel Blog under air france.

Have To Get Away

travel gas prices Even with high gas prices, a road trip may be a cheaper than buying airline tickets.

- Road trips are not out, because the price of gas is still cheaper than the price of 3 airline tickets to most destinations.

Vacation, Have To Get Away…

Posted on May 19, 2006 07:41 PM by airlin124.
Filed in Travel Blog under airline tickets.

Waiting For The Gigabeat

travel gigabeat s United's frequent flier program hasn't delivered the Gigabeat S.

As a side note the MP3 player I ordered 2 months ago using frequent flyer points still hasn't arrived; United Airlines keep on predicting delivery dates and Toshiba keep on missing em. UA's most recent communication, 3 weeks ago, says it 'should be shipped by May 12'. No sign of it. But I can't blame UA for this; the Gigabeat S series has been delayed and delayed and most online retailers are now predicting a June 1 release. It was released in Japan on April 28th but hasn't hit the US yet. Sigh... :-)

Unknown album

Posted on May 19, 2006 04:41 PM by united140.
Filed in Travel Blog under united airlines.

Assigned Seating Southwest?

travel southwest airline gate Will assigned seating come to Southwest Airlines?

The Whited Curse strikes again — Southwest Airlines is considering scrapping its open-seating policy:

Assigned seating on The Company Plane?

Posted on May 19, 2006 02:41 PM by southw138.

May 14, 2006

Cancun Back In Business

travel mexico cancun beach Despite ongoing repairs from Hurricane Wilma, the Mexican shores of Cancun are ready for vacationers.
The good thing is that they are functional down there. I wouldn’t let anything I just said about the damage stop any one from going. The service was outstanding. The people were just fabulous. The beaches everywhere looked picturesque.

Daily Recipes � Back from Cancun and….

Posted on May 14, 2006 12:45 PM by mexico136.
Filed in Travel Blog under mexico.

May 12, 2006

Key West Wonders

travel bahia honda state park Traveling in and around Key West.
Yes, I know that Cayo Hueso really means “Isle of Bones” in Spanish, but can I help it if the nickname still ends up on T-shirts sold all over Duval Street? But here’s the surprise; you can enjoy family travel to the infamous margarita-sodden island at the end of the world. Just be prepared to explain some, ahem, possibly odd sightings.

Cayo Heuso: Melting-Pot Wonders of Key West Florida. � TravelBlog Archive � Family Travel

Posted on May 12, 2006 10:07 AM by bcs. .

May 05, 2006

Outside Amsterdam

travel texel island skater Lots of places to visit in Holland after you land in Amsterdam.
What’s there to do in the Netherlands outside of Amsterdam? Plenty, especially with families.

Wonderfully Off the Tourist Beaten Path: Wadden Sea/Waddenzee Islands With Kids � TravelBlog Archive � Family Travel

Posted on May 5, 2006 07:02 PM by bcs. .

May 03, 2006

My Multi-leg Trip Costs

travel ticket counter line The frustration of trying to allocate the cost of each segment of a multi-leg trip to a different client.

In a couple of weeks I have back-to-back on-site jobs with several east-coast clients. So I went onto Travelocity and booked a multi-leg trip. Simple enough. When I finished my complex reservation and booked the ticket, I was duly charged a total fare for my trip.

Travelocity and the mysterious total cost for my multi-leg trip

Posted on May 3, 2006 04:43 PM by travel139.

Lawn Gnome Was No Help

travel lawn gnome mooning Thanks for playing at Travelocity!

Of course, I thought of the obnoxious lawn gnome commercial: Travelocity. Their options for anything under a C-note a night (in the city I want to book a hotel room) were non-existent, and that’s incredibly un-helpful. I would recommend them only to people who have money to burn and/or really like lawn gnomes.

The lawn gnome was no help

Posted on May 3, 2006 04:43 PM by travel139.