« February 2006 | Main | April 2006 »

March 29, 2006

Back From Vacation

travel puerto rico Welcome back from Puerto Rico! We're too jealous to feel sorry about your flight delays.

That’s right, I’m back from Puerto Rico. It was a great time outside of getting there. American Airlines has old planes and even though the flight attendents were friendly we never got anything but a “gee, that’s too bad” in exchange for having our 7 hour 30minute trip bumped. Instead we got to see Chicago and Boston (6 hours of Logan Int’l Airport) before seeing San Juan.

Back from Vacation

Posted on March 29, 2006 06:40 PM by americ125.

March 28, 2006

Airline Travel For Vegetarians

travel air france food It's probably good French food on Air France, but it's probably not vegetarian.

The words ‘France’ and ‘vegetarian’ don’t sit together too comfortably. As if to confirm this, I couldn’t find a single reference to the word ‘vegetarian’ on the Air France web site! I had a very helpful reply to my email enquiry though, informing me that they offer vegetarian or vegan meals, which need to be requested 48 hours in advance. Given that Air France allocate 560 million euros to their in-flight catering every year, I’m glad to know that vegetarians are taken into account.

Airline food for veggies- part 1

Posted on March 28, 2006 06:41 PM by Air Fr115.
Filed in Travel Blog under air france.

March 26, 2006

4 Kids And A Hotel

travel kids Lessons from traveling with kids.

To find a place to stay I first went online to see what hotels offered suites where 6 people could stay. I didn't want to get 2 hotel rooms because the cost of 2 rooms would typically be more expensive then a suite that could accomodate 6 people. It would also mean that my wife and I would need to split up between the rooms to keep an eye on the kids. I first went to Travelocity to see what they had. Travelocity had a dropdown box asking how many kids and adults I needed a room for. After filling in the options they gave me a good selection of rooms that could accomodate 6 people. However, none of them were close enough to where my wife wanted to stay. I then went to Expedia and Orbitz. Both of those sites also had dropdown boxes for the number of adults and kids, but they returned results of hotels that clearly could not handle 6 people. So if you need a travel search that can handle larger families, Travelocity is the better one to use.

4 Kids and a Hotel

Posted on March 26, 2006 04:41 PM by travel139.

March 22, 2006

Room For Annie

travel delta jet landing The story of finalizing the travel plans.

One month ago I made airline ticket reservations for our move to Orlando, but I could only purchase two tickets. Annie will travel with us, so we needed to get a confirmed reservation for her as well. Delta Airlines wasn’t responding with a confirmation right away, so we decided not to purchase all four tickets in case we had to find another airline on which to take Annie. For the last month only Cathy and Andrew had tickets to fly. Finally yesterday we got confirmation that Annie can travel with us, so now Audrey and I can go, too. Whew.

Room for Annie

Posted on March 22, 2006 11:45 PM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Government Lawyer Coached Terrorist Trial Testimony

travel moussaoui Didn't know there were so many airline lawyers involved in the Moussaoui trial.

A United Airlines lawyer received a transcript of the first day of the Moussaoui trial from an American Airlines lawyer and forwarded it to Carla J. Martin, a Transportation Security Administration lawyer, the victims’ lawyers, Robert Clifford and Gregory Joseph, claim.

Government Lawyer Coached Terrorist Trial Testimony to Benefit Airlines

Posted on March 22, 2006 06:42 PM by americ125.

March 21, 2006

Das Erste Mal

travel philadelphia amtrak station Exploring the first U.S. capitol on this first trip to the U.S.

Inzwischen sind wir jetzt schon drei Tage in „Philly“ und schon auf dem Sprung nach Washington D.C. Ich denke, „Philly“ ist ein recht guter Start, um die USA zu entdecken. Einerseits ist sie so amerikanisch, dass der von Hollywood konditionierte Provinzler im Glücksgefühl der Wiederkennung schwelgen kann. Aufhängepunkt können wahlweise Filme (Rocky) oder einfach die Wokenkratzer sein (z.B. das neue Amtrak Building, das weniger wegen seiner Höhe sondern vor allem auf Grund seiner kristallinen Form ins Auge sticht). Andererseits ist die Stadt auch noch so überschaubar, dass uns der Kulturschock erspart geblieben ist. Doch noch etwas macht Philadelphia in der Retrospektive zum idealen Startpunkt für unsere Reise: Sie war der Geburtsort der Nation.

Das erste Mal

Posted on March 21, 2006 07:42 PM by amtrak126.

March 20, 2006

Southwest Rapid Rewards

travel southwest airlines ding screen If you're an Apple Mac user and you fly SouthWest Airlines, click through for DING!

For those of you on a mac that are enrolled in the Rapid Rewards program by Southwest Airlines. The mac version of Ding is now available. You’ll get 2 free points if you keep the program on your computer for 30 days.

Southwest Rapid Rewards

Posted on March 20, 2006 02:52 PM by southw138.

March 19, 2006

RSS Feeds For Travel

travel travelocity screen An easy way to get the latest on travel deals? Try reading RSS feeds from Travelocity, Orbitz, Kayak, and others.

Retailers with a dynamic product mix and customers who are passionate about new products are particularly well suited to RSS feeds. TowerRecords.com, for instance, allows users to sign up to hear about new music releases in a variety of genres, through its “Tower Alerts” service. Travel sites like Kayak, SideStep, Travelocity, Orbitz and others have also recently introduced RSS feeds showing good deals or destination suggestions.

RSS Feeds Aim to Simplify Web Shopping

Posted on March 19, 2006 04:41 PM by travel139.

March 18, 2006

Getting An Upgrade

travel first class cabin 777 Click through for hints on some ways to score a first class ticket.
Well, if you cannot justify first or business class tickets at work and you have been spoiled by the pampering you have previously received then, this is the perfect time to put your Frequent Flyer Membership Status to use WITHOUT having to use your miles (because we all know that mileage is used for personal travel ;-)

RoadGladiator: Getting an Upgrade

Posted on March 18, 2006 12:53 PM by cheap 127.
Filed in Travel Blog under cheap airline tickets.

March 13, 2006

Expensive Airline Tickets

travel graduation ceremony The longer you wait, the more expensive the airline tickets get.

Another entry about how I finally managed to convince the diploma coordinator with the pretentious name that I paid by check (OMG WHO USES CHECKS ANYMORE OMGWTF THEY ARE MADE OF PAPER!!!11one), can provide a copy if necessary, and that really, I’d just like to know if I can graduate or not. That having to wait another couple days/weeks/months (!) to find out if I should really bother having my family and whoever else wants to come out for a graduation ceremony that I may or may not be attending. Airline tickets are expensive; I’m guessing that all my college really wants is to waste everyone’s time and money.

Which would be fine, if anyone actually cared.

Posted on March 13, 2006 06:42 PM by airlin124.
Filed in Travel Blog under airline tickets.

March 12, 2006

Hello World

travel orlando amtrak station Always good to know how you got where you are.

Charlotte and me are currently sitting in an Orlando hotel lobby, killing time until it is time to call a taxt to take us to the Amtrak station. Since ya'll probably have no idea why we are here, I'll do a little recap:

Hello World

Posted on March 12, 2006 06:43 PM by amtrak126.

March 11, 2006

The Degrading Upgrade

travel delta airlines first class cabin Click through for an interesting strategy of upgrading on Delta Airlines.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. A couple of months ago my wife and I were flying back to Salt Lake City from a short trip to Manhatten. We flew on Delta airlines who’s hub happens to be Salt Lake City. We were tired and wanted a little extra room. I inquired about upgrading to first class since they made an announcement that there were 5 seats still available. The person at the counter said that because we had “internet” tickets we paid too little and so had a “T” ticket which wasn’t upgradeable for the $100 price they had announced. I asked how I might obtain a different ticket so that we could upgrade to first class. They said I could pay an additional $430 per ticket and then pay the $100 per ticket on top of that to upgrade to first class.

Web Hosting

Posted on March 11, 2006 11:41 PM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Traveling Light In Las Vegas

travel las vegas buffet Good tips for restaurants and buffets in Las Vegas ... and ways to watch your weight while dining out.

Las Vegas, Sin City…a town synonymous with overindulgence and gluttony. For three days in February, it was my home away from home and work-place. Like many of my peers, I’ve battled my weight, and a trip with an expense account is a dangerous thing. So aside from attending a convention, I assigned myself a mission to wade through a land of buffets and excess and find healthy options.

Traveling Light in Las Vegas

Posted on March 11, 2006 07:40 AM by las ve134.
Filed in Travel Blog under las vegas.

March 09, 2006

Basketball Hall of Fame

travel basketball hall of fame If you're staying at the Springfield Holiday Inn, check out the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Yesterday, we visited the Basketball Hall of Fame, which was just a few blocks from the Holiday Inn. A few people said that place was dissapointing, but I definitely did not feel that way. I really enjoyed my visit there. There’s three floors in the Hall. On the top floor is the Ring of Honor, which has photos and a few artifacts from the enshrinees. The plaque wing at the Baseball Hall of Fame was much better. On the middle floor was a whole bunch of displays with various items. Lots of Pistons stuff, so that was really cool. The bottom floor was an indoor basketball court and I thoroughly embarassed myself shooting hoops. You can view all of the photos here, and this is a sample photo of me and a statue of Dr. James Naismith:

7 States in 2 Days

Posted on March 9, 2006 04:47 AM by holida131.
Filed in Travel Blog under holiday inn.

March 07, 2006

Southwest: White Knight Or Black Widow?

travel love field southwest airlines The latest from Dallas/Fort Worth on Southwest and American Airlines

A seven-month truce has been declared in the battle over the Wright Amendment. Curiously, this truce was not reached by the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, nor by American and Southwest Airlines. The combatants in this latest skirmish are Members of Congress from the Metroplex and other parts of the U.S. who claim to have an economic interest in the outcome of the Love Field “liberation” battle.

“IS SOUTHWEST A WHITE KNIGHT OR A BLACK WIDOW? By Dr. Bernard L. Weinstein

Posted on March 7, 2006 02:45 PM by southw138.

Paula Adbul Makes Her Flight

travel paula abdul Paula Abdul made her Southwest Flight by skipping security, much to the dismay of her fellow travelers.

I understand the beef. I can GET that no one should receive special consideration. But I think it is a safe bet that Paula Abdul is not trying to blow up the freaking plane!

Paula Adbul Is No Threat To National Security

Posted on March 7, 2006 02:45 PM by southw138.

Yahoo Travel

travel northwest airlines at gate We've noticed the same problem with Yahoo travel.

Another thing really annoying about Yahoo! Travel - tell me if you haven’t had this happen to you before - is that they’ll show you a decent air fare, so you decide to book the flight. You work through all the return flight options until you’re all set to go. Then (and Northwest Airlines is REALLY bad about this), just when you’re thinking, “life is good, I’ve got myself a good trip here”, you get a message saying that the fare is no longer valid and has been changed - upwards of course, most times a lot upwards. I suppose it’s the price we all pay for convenience and avoiding the whole travel agent route, but it still is very annoying.

“Boomer”-rang

Posted on March 7, 2006 09:53 AM by northw137.

A "Know" Brainer

travel las vegas new years From a list of "know" brainers.

I know that Las Vegas will always be one of my most favorite destinations.

A “Know” Brainer

Posted on March 7, 2006 07:43 AM by las ve134.
Filed in Travel Blog under las vegas.

March 04, 2006

Metra Rail Service Proposal

travel metra rail Milwaukee's Mayor proposal to expand Metra service using Amtrak stations has this taxpayer in arms.

The backers of this are worried that the TPA “could kill the proposed train service by preventing the new Regional Transit Authority from raising money for it.” What this means is that if they are denied the power to raise taxes as much as they want, then they won’t get to play with their trains. I’m sorry. Should I care about their problem? If the trains are a good idea, the TPA allows them to get their money by asking the voters to approve it. Why should I be concerned that they want the unlimited power to tax?

Barrett proposes Metra rail service through valley

Posted on March 4, 2006 06:42 PM by amtrak126.

March 01, 2006

Rocket Man

travel Is this the future of travel?

If you haven't heard about Juan Manuel Lozano perhaps you should. Lozano has devoted most of his life to building a personal jetpack at his home 50 miles south of Mexico City. Along the way he has invented and sold a distiller for 90% pure Hydrogen Peroxide (which he uses to fuel his jetpack) and a super efficient "Penta M" catalyst pack which converts the fuel into steam.

Click through for more about jetpack pioneer Lozano.

Rocket Man

Posted on March 1, 2006 07:43 AM by mexico136.
Filed in Travel Blog under mexico.