« January 2006 | Main | March 2006 »

February 26, 2006

Commercials

travel united airlines commercial I'm getting a little tired of Rhapsody in Blue.

Both my favorite and least favorite commercials are the animated United Airlines spots set to Rhapsody in Blue.

Read the entire article.

Sesame Street and Airwolf

Posted on February 26, 2006 03:45 PM by united140.
Filed in Travel Blog under united airlines.

Continental Airline Boycott

travel gift certificate The (long) story of the Continental Airlines gift certificate.

My husband Vincent and I received a $400 gift certificate to Continental Airlines from some well meaning friends as a wedding gift in November of 2004. After the wedding, as strapped for cash as we were, it was pretty impossible for us to imagine using it to take ourselves anywhere for a vacation, especially since we had already booked and paid for the flight for our honeymoon through Jet Blue.

Continental Airline Boycott

Posted on February 26, 2006 06:37 AM by contin128.
Filed in Travel Blog under continental airlines.

Wil Waldon At The Holiday Inn

travel wil waldon skateboarder Skateboarder Wil Waldon blogging from Holiday Inn.

I’m totally snakin some web time right now from some other dudes at the Holiday Inn that i’m staying at… so i gotta make this quick.

Too cool for school.

rye airfield , maine, the softrucks demo

Posted on February 26, 2006 04:41 AM by holida131.
Filed in Travel Blog under holiday inn.

February 21, 2006

Why I Like Jet Blue

travel jet blue saarinen terminal A Jet Blue fan here.

I've flown in first and business class a few times, usually because the airline screwed us over somehow so they had to put us up in a plane somewhere, but for the most part, its good old coach. Thats what I love about jet blue, there is no first class or business class. Honestly, it is extremely degrading to be boarded last, having to walk past all the rich people while they get served drinks just to be crammed into a small box and be treated like shit. Being as tall as I am they usually give me the exit row which sometimes is a lot more roomier than business class. But when I can't get it, I have a miserable time ahead. My knees are in my face, my butt falls asleep within minutes, and I come that much closer to suicide.

fly fly fly

Posted on February 21, 2006 06:37 AM by jet bl133.

February 20, 2006

The Non-Smoking Room

travel travelodge kentucky Not a happy time at Travelodge.

I left work about noon (much thanks to Bossman for letting me out early) and hit the road. 357 miles later, I hit Newport, KY and pulled into the Travelodge parking lot. There was a nice big sign for the motel as I crossed the bridge into Newport, and there was a fairly new Aquarium and shopping area right across the street so I was hopeful. The lady at the front desk was quite nice, so I was still hopeful as I made my way to the room. Then I opened the door. Not so good. It was a non-smoking room, but it reeked of smoke and I later found ash on the bathroom floor, like the maid had been smoking in there or something while cleaning the shower. The pictures don’t really do it justice. Wallpaper was peeling, the thermostat came from a museum (and was so convoluted, that they included instructions mounted to the wall next to it), electrical plugs weren’t screwed in, etc. Oh well, I had prepaid on Travelocity, so it was too late to change now. And for all it’s faults, the Travelodge is in a really convenient location. So be it.

Full Cincinnati Report

Posted on February 20, 2006 03:44 PM by travel139.

Employers Start Charging Smokers

travel northwest airlines video If you work on an airline, when do you get a chance to smoke?

Meijer Inc., Gannett Co., American Financial Group Inc., PepsiCo Inc. and Northwest Airlines are among the companies already charging or planning to charge smokers higher premiums. The amounts range from about $20 to $50 a month.

Employers Start Charging Smokers

Posted on February 20, 2006 09:42 AM by northw137.

February 17, 2006

Blue Ocean Strategy

travel southwest airlines taxiing If you want to know the secrets of Southwest Airlines' success, check out Blue Ocean Strategy.

There are many examples included, such as Southwest Airlines, the Cirque du Soleil, Curves, and Starbucks…but don’t think that this book is only for big companies, in fact, it is even more relevant to small businesses. This is a new way to look at the potential market place for any business.

BotW: Blue Ocean Strategy

Posted on February 17, 2006 01:41 PM by southw138.

February 16, 2006

Budget Carnage

travel amtrak At least Amtrak may have some friends in the budget cut department.

What other things is the Smirkster planning to toss overboard so his oil buddies (who, coincidentally of course, have just reaped record profits) can get tons of refunds, permanently? Let's see: watershed protection and flood prevention funding. Vocational education grants. Dropout prevention programs. Job opportunities for low-income folks. Health programs. Rural fire assistance. Social services block grants. Amtrak. The list goes on. For someone who claimed education was such a priority, about a third of his cuts are in education alone.

Budget Carnage

Posted on February 16, 2006 06:41 PM by amtrak126.

Letters To Charlotte

travel northwest airlines jet Click through for the letter.

When I received the following e-mail string from reader Kristina M. Reser-Jaynes, I wondered whether I should take it up with Northwest Airlines or include it in a story about airline rules. Instead, I decided to republish it (with her permission) on the site without commentary.

Letters to Charlotte

Posted on February 16, 2006 10:42 AM by northw137.

February 11, 2006

Travel With Emotional Intelligence

travel russia From a good post full of travel tips.
Also, dont waste your time and energy, and those of others, complaining to people who dont have authority to change things, like your local tour guide or cruise director. If you have serious praise or concern, take it to the home office. (This of course doesnt apply to emergencies.)
Click through for a comprehensive set of travel tips.

Traveling Deals � Blog Archive � Use Your Emotional Intelligence When Traveling Abroad

Posted on February 11, 2006 06:20 PM by bcs. .

February 06, 2006

Delta.com

travel delta website If you have any questions about delta.com ....

Left PanAmSat. Got a new job. No longer am I in over my head with Satcom gear. Now I’m in over my head being a webmaster for Delta. Technically. Actually, I work for Delta Technology, A wholy owned subsidiary of Delta Airlines. Still under bankruptcy no matter what the letterhead says. Anyway…I’m not really over my head that much. At least I understand Unix. It’s actually very interesting work. Maintaining Sun Java One Web Servers. It’s what I really like doing. I do want to learn a little programming. Very little. Enough to be dangerous but not much more. LOL. I guess that’s about it. Maybe I’ll start doing this regularly again. We’ll see.

Long time no see

Posted on February 6, 2006 11:43 PM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Super Bowl Ads

travel united advertisement I thought this was pretty good, too.

Yea, we thought so too. But if you missed the ads, which are by far more interesting than watching a bunch of grown men throw a pigskin around a field, you can watch them HERE. Among our favorites: “Bud Light: Secret Fridge,” “Ameriquest Mortgage Co,” and “United Airlines: Slaying Dragons.”

Super Bowl ads!

Posted on February 6, 2006 04:34 PM by united140.
Filed in Travel Blog under united airlines.

Lost And Found

travel nintendo ds Hey, if you find a DS on Northwest Airlines, let this guy know!

On the flight back, I proceeded to leave my DS on a plane. This has caused me a lot of inner grief and emoism. Is that a word, “emoism”? Haven’t heard back from Northwest Airlines about it, but I was able to tell them exactly what flight it was that I lost it, and in a timely manner. Maybe I’ll get a call back from this sometime, they certainly didn’t return my call from today. I’m not so much bummed about having to buy another DS, especially since the redesign is coming soon, but rather my game saves. I lost both Animal Crossing and FFIV, and will have to do a lot more work if I have to rebuy those too. Also, my copy of Mario Kart is hosed for online play since Nintendo matches DS serials with game serials.

Back to Work. Frustration Ramblings.

Posted on February 6, 2006 09:37 AM by northw137.

Bummed And Broke

travel jet blue a320 jfk Sometimes travel vouchers aren't worth much.

So, now I have a plane ticket credit on an airline that I will never use (Jet Blue). Sure, I could apply it to a trip to, say, The Bahamas (that sounds like fun!), but I used grant money to pay for the flights, and so I have to travel on a grant-related trip. Jet Blue was going to work fantastically for flying to Syracuse (I saved almost $300 over any other airline). But, the other places I have to travel to this year – Chicago and Lubbock – Jet Blue doesn’t even go close to. (They do fly to Richmond, but not until April…and even then a trip to Richmond wouldn’t be grant-related.)

bummed and broke

Posted on February 6, 2006 06:36 AM by jet bl133.

February 01, 2006

Whining About Work

travel travelocity gnome Maybe she should just try kayak.

And also for those of you who asked, yes, the owner’s wife is employed here. She’s technically the owner – tax breaks for being a woman-owned business and all. She was supposed to be a figurehead. Yeah. She’s trying to run the business, and she’s just simply a bean counter. She will lose, quite literally, thousands just to save five or ten bucks. Ridiculous. She expects our reps, who travel one week a month, to check Expedia, Travelocity *and* Orbitz first, then once they’ve found a flight or hotel, to check their websites directly, to see if it’s cheaper, because she’s found that you can sometimes save $5 by doing so. Those were her words verbatim in our sales meeting. So, to save a crummy five bucks, let’s waste an hour or more looking for the best price. An hour that could be spent doing something productive, like, say, WORKING. No. I’m not kidding.

Whining About Work (Again!) And Other Stuff...

Posted on February 1, 2006 03:47 PM by travel139.