« December 2005 | Main | February 2006 »

January 31, 2006

Web Ad Holds Burns' Feet to the Fire

travel amtrak daffodils Did the Abramoff scandal involve Amtrak votes?

Montanans have demanded Conrad Burns explain his dealings with Jack Abramoff. We’ve pushed our Junior Senator to explain his stance on Social Security privatization and his votes on Amtrak and pesticide testing.

Web Ad Holds Burns’ Feet to the Fire

Posted on January 31, 2006 06:43 PM by amtrak126.

Bermuda Blues

travel bermuda boat Well, there are boats.

Another one is the airlines. We’ve heard a lot about Jet Blue running regular trips to Bermuda for greatly reduced prices. What I’m interested in is what they refer to as the “Jet Blue” effect, which is a ripple effect in the prices of airfares. If we suddenly see a dramatic drop in Delta, American, Continental and British Airways, we should all scream bloody murder to the government. This would in fact prove what Bermudians have been complaining about for years, the fact that we are being gouged by the airlines (who also point to the government) needlessly. Living on an Island we have little alternative but to fly if we have or want to go anywhere off Island. We are quite literally at the mercy of the airlines and whatever price they choose to inflict upon us.

The Service Racket

Posted on January 31, 2006 06:35 AM by jet bl133.

Ski Trip

travel winterplace If you're skiing at Winterplace, you might want to check out the Holiday Inn.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn hotel. When we arrived, we went to bed pretty soon since we had a long day of skiing the next day. We woke up at 6am and ate a nice complimentary breakfast at the hotel. Then, we got on out ski gear and loaded on the bus. It was about a half hour drive to the ski slopes, but when we arrived, we had to wait a llong time for our rentals. By the time we started skiing, it was already 10:45. The trails were nice. They were on the easy side, but I had fun. I skiied with my family for a while before we got lunch.

Ski Trip

Posted on January 31, 2006 04:42 AM by holida131.
Filed in Travel Blog under holiday inn.

January 30, 2006

Aventura Palace

travel mexico aventura palace Where do I sign up for this trip to Mexico?
The second week was pure luxury: fully inclusive at the Aventura Palace. Cocktails, snacks and meals virtually 24/7. Apart from sunbathing and swimming we walked and cycled to the nearby port where we swam with dolphins. What an experience! We also took the courtesy bus to a sister hotel to visit their zoo and snorkel in their lagoon.

It’s My Life � Mexico - August 2001

Posted on January 30, 2006 11:37 PM by mexico136.
Filed in Travel Blog under mexico.

January 27, 2006

Turtle Bay

travel hawaii turtle bay resort Good post on Turtle Bay on Oahu.
When we decided to go to Hawaii, we weren’t sure which island we wanted to stay on and where we would stay on that island. We had decided that we would either stay on the island of Oahu or Maui. The problem we found with Oahu is that most of the resorts are located on Wakiki beach and are in areas that are considered very “touristy.” This was not the feel that we were going for with our honeymoon - we wanted a more relaxed, quiet feel and to be able to see the natural beauty of Hawaii, not a sea of highrise hotels. This is the feel that is attributed more to the other islands, like Maui. However, many of the attractions that we wanted to be able to visit while we were in Hawaii were located on Oahu, such as Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center. When we found the Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu, we found the perfect fit!

Big White Dress � Resort Review - Turtle Bay Resort Oahu, Hawaii

Posted on January 27, 2006 04:09 PM by hawaii130.
Filed in Travel Blog under hawaii.

January 25, 2006

Hidden Cities

travel american airlines tail Check your tickets for hidden cities!

Some travel agents may book you using hidden ticketing to save you some money, this is unethical and may get you into trouble, even worse if if they decide to reroute you. Using our example above the airlines have a contract to get you from JFK to LAX, if they decide that instead of routing you through DFW you are going through Miami, well tough, you are going through Miami, regardless of the fact you bought the ticket solely to get off in DFW.

CNN has an article here dealing with this very thing. For the official word this letter from American Airlines, clearly states their policy on it.

The Best Travel Deals - Travel Just Got Better � The Dirty Little Hidden City Secret

Posted on January 25, 2006 06:48 PM by americ125.

January 23, 2006

Benefits You Can't Use

airlines delta gold medallion card Those times when marketing doesn't quite work right.

The airlines try so hard some times. Last year I flew a lot. I mean really a lot. So Delta Airlines, my all time favorite airline, awarded me their Gold Medallion status. That is the middle of three levels of status. It means some good benefits for me. I get upgraded to first class fairly often. I get to board early. And I get double mile credit for future free trips. Those are all benefits I can use and really enjoy. But I had to laugh today when my new "gold card" arrived. It came with four vouchers for my choice of a free headset, a free beer, a free glass of wine or a free cocktail on a future flight.

Benefits you can't use

Posted on January 23, 2006 11:42 PM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Bad Weather

travel unclaimed luggage Nothing worse than travelling when you get sick ... except missing your luggage.

But American Airlines has assured me they will deliver my luggage to me today. My fever’s gone. Once the luggage arrives I’ll have a nice stack of new books to read while I recuperate.

It’s Official - I Have the World’s Cutest Cowboy Boots

Posted on January 23, 2006 06:42 PM by americ125.

Vueling

travel vueling airline You may not know about Jet Blue's investment in Vueling.

Actualmente la estructura accionarial de Vueling, que tuvo una inversión inicial de 30 millones de euros, está formada por la empresa europea de fondos de capital de riesgo Apax Partners, con el 40% del capital; la filial del grupo Planeta, Inves Hemisferio, con el 30%; el equipo de gestión de la empresa, liderado por el consejero delegado Carlos Muñoz y el propio Ros, que tiene un 23% del capital; y por el presidente de la compañía aérea norteamericana Jet Blue Airways, que controla un 7%.

Vueling baraja su entrada en bolsa para 2008

Posted on January 23, 2006 05:42 AM by jet bl133.

January 22, 2006

Southwest Airlines Paid For My Car

travel southwest airlines advertisement Congratulations.

For those of you who don’t know (or do know– but have never seen it) I was chosen to be in a Southwest Airlines TV commercial, which to date has almost singlehandedly paid for my car loan. It was a great time– I was flown out to Philly on U.S. Air, put up in a hotel, sat around most of the day, and was on camera for probably a total of 25 minutes.

Southwest airlines paid for my car…

Posted on January 22, 2006 12:43 PM by southw138.

January 17, 2006

Dreaming Of Mexico

travel mexico desert Sounds like it's time for a dream trip to Mexico!

In a different dream I was visiting the family ranch in Mexico, again finding myself without my camera. The dream was lush and haunting and beautiful in a way I’ve never dreamed before, intense and, ultimately, so melancholy my heart wanted to break; in the dream my every sense was hyperalert, and the details of the arid and rolling scrub of northern Mexico were clearer, broader, more vivid, more alive than at any previous time in any of my dreams before. Breathtaking, the dream may have been visualized more clearly than any of the times I’ve physically visited Mexico. My Spanish was fluent, my grandmother and uncles and cousins were wonderful to interact with, to speak to, to listen to, but ultimately the unyielding theme of the dream was: I was never going to return, this was the last time I would be able to dream of Mexico, of the desert, this would be the last time this place and I could be together. In the dream itself I could scarcely breathe, at this realization, and on waking I nearly wept, as if there was some prophecy in it, as if I honestly would never be able to again set eyes on my grandmother…

dreamscapes

Posted on January 17, 2006 07:43 AM by mexico136.
Filed in Travel Blog under mexico.

Thinking Outside The Cardboard Box

travel jet blue cabin Jet Blue is everything it's cracked up to be.

You gotta give it to these guys. I mean, presumably they could migrate, snow-bird style. What’s a one-way ticket to Nassau, Bahamas? Seventy-nine bucks on Jet Blue. Very doable. That’s less than the price of half a gram of crack (a “working half,” as they call it on the street). You gotta give something up temporarily, but look what you’re getting in return: it’s gonna be 79° and partly sunny in the Bahamas tomorrow. You know what it’s gonna be here in Boston? 36°, with rain/snow showers. All the crack in the world can’t make up for that cruddy forecast.

Thinking outside the cardboard box

Posted on January 17, 2006 06:35 AM by jet bl133.

January 16, 2006

Mechanic Sucked Into Boeing 737 Engine

travel continental airlines 777 at gate Click through for the El Paso local news report.

An airline mechanic was killed today after he was sucked into an engine on a Continental Airlines 737:

Mechanic Sucked Into Boeing 737 Engine

Posted on January 16, 2006 10:44 PM by contin128.
Filed in Travel Blog under continental airlines.

Travelocity Versus Orbitz

travelocity gnome Useful comparison here between Travelocity and Orbitz.

I saw one of Travelocity’s commercials this morning, and thought of writing about my experiences with them. I using Travelocity relatively early in their existence, and used them for several years after that.

Read the entire article.

Travelocity versus Orbitz

Posted on January 16, 2006 03:45 PM by travel139.

January 10, 2006

Independence Air Shutting Down

travel independence air on ground Independence Air competed on price, but apparently not on cost.

I flew Independence last June from SFO to its hub at Washington Dulles and loved the service as well as the bargain fares. It competed with discount carriers like JetBlue, AirTran, UAL’s Ted and Southwest Airlines.

Declaration of Independence Air: Shutting Down

Posted on January 10, 2006 12:50 PM by southw138.

Visible Maintenance

travel northwest airlines detroit airport Ugly.

In the Northwest Airlines Terminal building at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, a clever worker has patched the terrazzo floor. Since I am not there every day (although it seems like it the traveling I do), I don’t know the reason for the patch. But nonetheless, it is a patch. You can see it 12 gates away.

Throw Away Your Business Cards

Posted on January 10, 2006 09:48 AM by northw137.

Greetings From Norway

travel klm business class Fly while you can!

The trip up here was pretty nice. It was my first flight on KLM and I got bumped up to Business Class. That was because I checked in using my Northwest Airlines Silver Elite status. Normally you get these status levels on various airlines after flying a bunch of miles, but one of the benefits of working for a big company like Microsoft is that I got bumped to upper levels on a few airlines just by asking the travel department. I was instantaneously Silver Elite. I have never even been on a Northwest plane. I left Microsoft over a year ago, but the bump was good for two years. Woohoo!!!

Greetings from Norway

Posted on January 10, 2006 08:48 AM by northw137.

January 08, 2006

At Narita Airport Now

travel narita airport arrivals Love how you can get customer service stories as the trip is in progress.

am blogging at narita airport now... got free yahoo! cafe at terminal 2. equipped with webcam summore! just not used to the keyboard. took me a few good mins to figure out where the @ and ' sign is located at... shd not have any probs boarding continental airlines (the prob i mentioned in my previous post). previously may have to spend 1 nite at japan due to some visa issues but it's resolved now anywayz.. dun wanna elaborate any further since everything's fine now. narthwest airlines staff are vvvvv helpful to help make sure i dun get sent back. really will have to write commendation letter.

at narita airport now

Posted on January 8, 2006 10:41 PM by contin128.
Filed in Travel Blog under continental airlines.

January 05, 2006

Bought Tickets On Kayak

travel airline I keep seeing reports that kayak is better than the other online travel services.

**Kayak is a search engine for travel that Gary Price turned me onto that has literally saved me probably thousands of $$$ and is so far superior to Expedia / Yahoo Travel / Travelocity that its astonishing. I really hope that this company makes it.

I’m going to podcastercon - just bought tickets

Posted on January 5, 2006 02:47 PM by travel139.

London!

travel northwest airlines Not a great trip.

So, I am in London. Some of you may have heard that our backpacks were lost. Here’s the story. Our plane to St. Louis showed up almost an hour late, and so our layover in Detriot became -5 minutes. So after being locked on the plane at the gate in Detriot, we had to run, actually run at an airport, to our next flight, where they were just waiting for us to leave. A question arose… would our backpacks have enough time to transfer to the next plane? Nope. But the flight here sucked, Northwest Airlines is the most horrible way to fly, we kept saying “no wonder they are bankrupt”. Sauce is free on the plane, if you are 21, I am hoping the way back you need only be 18 since that is the age here, but I am not that lucky. Just as we were about to land, they spilled coffee all over my leg.

London!

Posted on January 5, 2006 08:45 AM by northw137.

(Welcome to) Sarajevo

travel sarajevo holiday inn We've looked at this a couple times to make sure:

It’s cold. But its an a surreal city. First impressions - you get a tram out of train station and there’s their parliament building… in ruins (well just windowless). The tram route into the city is on a road called Sniper Alley for obvious reasons. And although the holiday inn has patched most of their holes you’ll find that a lot of buildings with bullet holes on oneside…! Sarajevo in winter is…nice. There’s not much to do though except hang around the Turkish quarter (which if it wasn’t for the abundance of snow you would thing that you were in Turkey!!) It would be a great place in summer just to chill out, drink Bosnian coffee and watch the world go by… But in winter its a wee bit cold (I don’t think the temperature was ever above 0C and once the sunsets it drops quickly to to -4C or worse) to sit outside for a coffee! And since the city isn’t a huge tourist trap yet, the museums are…on the amateur side. Example?..

(Welcome to) Sarajevo

Posted on January 5, 2006 03:41 AM by holida131.
Filed in Travel Blog under holiday inn.

January 03, 2006

Another Day In Rochester

travel american airlines fokker Travel from small cities is getting more and more difficult.

Well, today I woke up bright and early(3:45am). I had to leave by 4:15am to get to the airport. I get dressed and ready to go, I wake Jessi up(no small feat) only to turn my phone on and see a message from American Airlines that my flight has been cancelled. Damn! The message was sent sometime in the wee hours of the night. I called the airline to find out what was going on. No explanation as to why the flight was cancelled. I can only presume it was because it wasn’t filled. That is the problem with flying out of a small airport, the little commuter planes don’t always have enough passengers and apparantly the airlines can cancel these flights at their own discretion. sigh.

another day in Rochester

Posted on January 3, 2006 06:42 PM by americ125.