« September 2005 | Main | November 2005 »

October 30, 2005

Union Contract

travel northwest airlines strike It's true, contracts are not guarantees when the business heads south.

In the first days of the Northwest Airlines strike I heard a union mechanic on TV saying that he distrusts and despises the treatment by NWA management. That seemed like an odd statement to me – if NWA is such a bad place to work, why did they so easily find replacement workers for the striking union members? As the NWA mechanics’ strike continues, we see striking mechanics taking every opportunity they can, even coming to a residential home in suburban Minnesota, to pickett out on the sidewalk and embarrass all those who didn’t live up to their commitment to the union. This will not help their cause.

AMFA stoops to new low

Posted on October 30, 2005 07:44 AM by northw137.

Grandpa's Stories

travel northwest airlines 747 I love listening to my friend Lee talk about flying Navy planes in WWII.

Grandpa loves airplanes. He has so many wonderful stories of flight experiences. He started flying a little crop-duster type plane when he was a teen. He flew at fairs and parties. He flew in the Navy, and flew for Northwest Airlines. He knows so much about planes. I love listening to his stories, and he never tires of telling them.

Tools, farming, airplanes, cars and Grandpa

Posted on October 30, 2005 07:44 AM by northw137.

Flying, Not Driving

travel jet blue ground up With gas prices so high at the pump, I think a lot more people are flying.

i decided to fly to vermont now instead of drive for two reasons. first, there was a super cheap fair on jet blue to boston, half what i would normally pay. second, the program i was hoping to attend at karme choling in december was changed and no longer meets my meditation practice goal. there’s another program, however, in the pacific northwest. so now my plan is to head to vermont for a couple months, then come back for that program, before returning to the east coast.

flying now, not driving

Posted on October 30, 2005 05:41 AM by jet bl133.

October 29, 2005

Hurricane Wilma Experience

travel hurricane wilma damage I wonder how long it will take for Mexico's tourist industry to recover.

When we arrived back at the hotel there was a notice of a general meeting later that afternoon concerning the storm, and we discovered that Wilma was a Category 5 hurricane headed straight for us. Oh shit!!!! I called our air carrier, American Airlines, but they had no available seats, were not planning on sending additional planes, and even if they could find us a seat they would charge an additional $200.00 for making the change. They justified the extra charge because the airport was still “open”, and an evacuation was not mandatory. Boy, that is what I call great customer service. Anyway, only about 100 guests remained at the hotel, and we were instructed to pack all of our stuff, leave it in our rooms, and meet in the main dinning room where we would spend the duration of the storm.

First-hand Hurricane Wilma experience from a diver in Cozumel

Posted on October 29, 2005 07:42 PM by americ125.

Accessing Flight Info On The Web

travel travelocity gnome how ducky Plenty of new web services for travel ... it's hard to keep up.

Since we first blogged about Google offering direct links to online travel databases (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz) a few days ago if city pairs are placed in the web search box, others have picked up on yet another Google test. The new service is primarily about accessing pricing info, timetables etc. This is DIFFERENT than the flight info “shortcuts”, “Smart Answers,” etc., that most of the major web engines, the airlines themselves, and others have been offering for several years.

Accessing Flight Info on the Web

Posted on October 29, 2005 04:41 PM by travel139.

October 22, 2005

Delta's Response To Jet Blue

travel delta song cabin Click through for this write-up on Delta's Song brand and more pictures.

I’ve got a few more pictures I snagged during the flight up on my flickr if you’re interested in checking out more; I’m about to get on a Jet Blue flight from JFK to SEA, so I’ll be able to do a side by side comparison. Now that they aren’t the only ones doing in-flight satellite TV, will they still be the best cross country option?

Fly Song! Delta’s response to Jet Blue

Posted on October 22, 2005 07:36 AM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Experience? Overrated.

travel delta cabin old LOL.

In other news, Delta airlines is starting a new practice of hiring non pilots to fly planes. According to the company “Sure they lack experience and and sort of training, but we consider that an asset”

Experience? Overrated.

Posted on October 22, 2005 12:39 AM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

October 21, 2005

Romantic Vacations

travel amtrak train in field From a list of romantic vacation ideas:

There are scenic and romantic train rides all over the world. Some of Amtrak’s more scenic stretches take days and can be a vacation in themselves. Otherwise, you can plan a vacation around one or more “dinner trains” or scenic rides like the one we took from Silverton to Durango Colorado (beautiful mountains).

The Best Romantic Vacations - Five Ideas

Posted on October 21, 2005 07:42 PM by amtrak126.

October 19, 2005

Delta Airlines Update

travel delta 777 landing Off to Europe.

Here is a quick update to a post I created earlier regarding Delta Airlines restructuring plan. In keeping with their promise to expand internationally and decrease their domestic lanes, Delta recently announced plans to add an additional 11 transatlantic flights during 2006. This expansion will allow Delta to become the largest transatlantic airline in the world surpassing British Airways.

Delta Airlines Update

Posted on October 19, 2005 12:41 AM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

October 18, 2005

Belgrade: The Hottest New Destination In Eastern Europe

travel begrade I loved Belgrade last time I visited.

So, if you missed being part of the in crowd when Dubrovnik was hot, now's your chance to be able to say, "Belgrade? I loved it. It's like Prague in 1990." The New York Times must have read our blog about Dubrovnik yesterday and scrambled to name a new top Eastern European destination, and Belgrade is the new "it" city.

Flights To Belgrade: The Hottest New Destination In Eastern Europe

Posted on October 18, 2005 08:12 PM by americ125.

October 14, 2005

The Science Of Aliens

travel london science museum Just in case you needed an excuse to travel to London.

The Science Museum in London has a new exhibit that may have you frantically hunting Travelocity for a cheap flight. The Science of Aliens, which opens tomorrow and runs until February, explores the science, the fiction, and the philosophy of our search for extraterrestrial life.

The Science of Aliens

Posted on October 14, 2005 05:45 PM by travel139.

Jet Blue Damage

travel jet blue broken landing gear The blogosphere is great for pictures and stories that didn't hit the main stream media.

The JetBlue aircraft that landed with its nose landing gear turned sideways was discussed here. Now there are some photos of the result on Flickr.

If you've got some other picture, submit them to us.

Jet Blue damage

Posted on October 14, 2005 06:39 AM by jet bl133.

October 13, 2005

Heading To Philly

travel delta airlines jet at gate Nice to hear about good customer service these days.

In the Atlanta airport I met these good people from Delta Airlines who really helped us get to our flight a little quicker. Philly, here I come!

Heading to Philly

Posted on October 13, 2005 11:41 PM by delta 129.
Filed in Travel Blog under delta airlines.

Outagamie Airport

travel outagamie map Never traveled through the Outagamie airport, but maybe I should give it a try.

Speaking of airport security though, my experience at the Outagamie Regional Airport, near Appleton WI was far more positive than I feared. Both the United Airlines ticket agent and the TSA personnel at the checkpoint were exceedingly professional, sympathetic — and thorough. I knew damned well any of them could’ve made my life hell and literally kept me from getting on that plane, but they treated me with respect and courtesy. I still disagree with the whole notion of the way these searches work, and I still think they’re looking for all the wrong things on all the wrong people. (For instance, I firmly believe we’re merely one corrupted groundcrew person away from the next act of airline terrorism. It won’t be the passengers…or rather, it might be some of them who carry it out, but the items they need will almost certainly be pre-positioned by those with a legitimate airport badge and security codes. In my opinion.) But I have nothing but positive things to say about the professionalism of the Outagamie airport people. Just sayin’.

Recovered, more or less

Posted on October 13, 2005 05:46 PM by united140.
Filed in Travel Blog under united airlines.

October 12, 2005

Airfare For The Wayfarer

travel on bike In case you were confused about airline ticket pricing:

As a seasoned traveler, I can promise you that even with this highly educational course, you won’t be any clearer about what you need, when you need it, as you purchase your next airfare. You will never be able to pin the airlines down as to their exact formula for pricing options, mostly because they don’t have one. The last lesson in Airfare 101: As you prepare to purchase your next airline tickets, you can throw out all the rules and formulas, close your eyes, and just pick one!

If you posted something about air fares on your blog, submit it to Blog Carnival!

Airfare for the Wayfarer

Posted on October 12, 2005 07:41 PM by airlin124.
Filed in Travel Blog under airline tickets.

The EU And Me

travel northwest airlines 747 on approach Airline ticket prices are swinging a lot with changes in energy prices and bankruptcies.

I was chagrined to see that Northwest Airlines, my usual airline of choice and the frequent flier program in which I participate, jacked up their prices to Rome. I wonder if that has anything to do with their whole bankruptcy thing. Anyway, in good news, American (with whom I also have miles, though not as many) is now offering a better price.

The EU and me

Posted on October 12, 2005 10:39 AM by northw137.

$8.80 An Hour

travel plane toilet The labor point of view.

That fight taps into frustration felt by people like Elyse Casey, 57, of Gibraltar. Casey said her husband Daniel’s monthly prescription bill of $100 stretches the family’s $20,000 income. She is paid $8.80 an hour cleaning planes for Northwest Airlines.

MI: Article profiles Stabenow’s strong will

Posted on October 12, 2005 09:42 AM by northw137.

October 11, 2005

Conversation Tips

travel air france toronto crash A little tip on what not to talk about on an airplane.

The flights from Winnipeg to Toronto and then on to London were fine, although I could have done without the guy sitting next to me pointing out where the Air France plane had crashed at Toronto in the summer.

Days 16-18 : Travelling home (October 8 - 10)

Posted on October 11, 2005 07:40 PM by Air Fr115.
Filed in Travel Blog under air france.

October 09, 2005

Comin' On A Jet Plane

travel jet blue in-n-out burger Why think about the plane crashing when you can have one of those In-N-Out moments.

As the plane began it’s initial decent into the Los Angeles area, I was reminded of the Jet Blue flight that landed with the gear all messed up. I was sitting in my seat watching DirecTV thinking about what that must have been like for those passengers. And then, I got excited. I was landing in the land of In-N-Out. I started salivating over the thought of a double-double, fry and chocolate shake. It has been over 7 and half years since I’ve been in LA, more than 3 months since I’ve seen TLBO, and I was more excited about having a hamburger that I was about seeing my best friend.

Comin on a Jet Plane

Posted on October 9, 2005 07:38 AM by jet bl133.

October 07, 2005

News From The War On Terror

travel amtrak coke bottle Rum and Coke?

New York's busy Penn Station returned to normal on Friday after a rush-hour false alarm caused by a suspicious substance found in a soda bottle near Amtrak's ticket counter, authorities said.

News From The War On Terror

Posted on October 7, 2005 07:40 PM by amtrak126.

Southwest Kicks Woman Off Flight

travel southwest airlines meet the folkers cast I think it's kind of funny, myself.

Southwest Airlines passenger Lorrie Heasley was wearing a T-shirt with a picture of Bush, Cheney, and Rice that bore the caption “Meet the Fuckers.” Other passengers, gravely offended, tattled on her and Southwest Officials kicked her off the flight.

Southwest kicks woman off flight for wearing parody T-shirt

Posted on October 7, 2005 03:40 PM by southw138.