« August 2005 | Main | October 2005 »

September 30, 2005

Federal Budget Cuts

travel amtrak station Seems like Hurricane Katrina is turning into an excuse to cut all the programs conservatives have been trying to cut for years.

With one destructive hurricane behind us, one on the way, and who knows how many more possible, it may be time to consider some way to pay for all the rebuilding necessary. I understand that the administration does not want to raise taxes and that “Operation Offset” is a way that some in Congress are proposing to try to pay for reconstruction. Some of their ideas are to freeze funding for the Peace Corps, the Global AIDS Initiative, and U.N. peacekeeping operations. They would eliminate the EnergyStar program, grants for state and local energy conservation, federal subsidies for Amtrak, funding for new light-rail programs and the hydrogen fuel initiative. Also eliminated are grants for safe and drug-free schools, and teen contraceptive programs. They’d probably also cut funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the National Endowment for the Arts.

A PATRIOT’S TAX

Posted on September 30, 2005 06:41 PM by amtrak126.

Airbus Should Be Worried

travel airbus 320 Is the quote machine broken:

At least seven other landing gear incidents have been identified with the Airbus A320 planes, of which JetBlue Flight 292 was one. JetBlue owns 81 of the A320s and would be one of the biggest customers affected if changes needed to be made to the landing gear on the fleet of A320s worldwide.

Airbus Should Be Worried; JetBlue's Worries Not Quite Over

Posted on September 30, 2005 04:40 PM by jet bl133.

September 29, 2005

Plane Food

travel southwest airline tail I'm not a big fan of people bringing smelly food on planes, either.

Okay, well I’m currently away from my home base, this time for business reasons. Before I delve into my weekly update, I’ve made a few observations while traveling so I think I’ll share. First, people in the service industry in the D.C. area aren’t terribly polite. Now, I am both generalizing and understating here. These bammas are flat out RUDE. Me: “‘Scuse me, can you tell me where the soap is?” Them: *blank stare* Me: “Umm, do you work here?” Them: “Ugh, I’m on the phone, if you can’t find it by the sign, then you gonna haveta wait a minute. *eye roll combined with suck teeth* Jeez. The San Diego airport, in an effort to make us all feel like 90 year old grandmas, has lined its Terminal 2 with rocking chairs. ROCKING CHAIRS!!! At first, I was taken aback by these old-style wooden beauties lining the waiting areas. Then I noticed people comfortably sliding back and forth with looks of peace and tranquility plastered on their faces. Peace and tranquility in an airport? “There must be something to this,” I thought as I scootched on over to the nearest vacant chair. Rock…mmmmm…rock…ooohhh…rock…aaaaahhhh. Oh my freakin’ God, these things work! Shocking. Two minutes after being slightly perterbed by the airportness of the place, I am rocking my way to absolute nirvana. Who knew?!? One last observation. This one’s about us–excuse me, US. Maaaan, I get on the plane in Vegas (layover) and I’m sitting next to two entrepeNegros who are doing, apparently, quite well for themselves. In fact, I’m hoping to meet up with Wife entrepeNegro to discuss hear more about what they do. But why, why, WHY did they act like we were on Southwest Airlines (what I refer to as “the Greyhound of the Skies”). I have ridden Southwest, will probably ride again because it is so dang cheap, so I’m not here frontin’ like it’s beneath me or something. But that said, WTF? I mean, if you’ve ever flown SWA you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. We get on the plane–mind you i saw these cats in the waiting area and they were sitting there at least as long as I was–we get on the plane, and they pull out their burger king and commence to grubbin’. I wish I could say that they were throwing pickles or being really obnoxious, you know for the fun of the story, but they weren’t. They were just funkin’ up the joint with their stinky food that they could have easily consumed before getting on the plane.

As The Boys Turn

Posted on September 29, 2005 02:44 PM by southw138.

Jet Blue Landing

travel jet blue a320 airbus landing gear problem A lot of people watched this.

Well as most of you have probably seen, there was that whole Jet Blue incident today. Yes I’m a sucker for these things that’s why I’m writing about it. I found out about it when Karl IM’ed me and said “there’s an emergency landing in LAX!” I was like “who, what, where, when, how!??” Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see it happen live.. by the time I got home the plane already landed.

Jet Blue

Posted on September 29, 2005 06:40 AM by jet bl133.

September 26, 2005

What I Would Do If I Were Brave

travel travelocity istanbul We'll hold you to it.

I think my important relationships are mostly strong, but I want to hold them gently today. And I hereby vow that when travelocity sends me those fare watcher messages that includes a city where someone I love lives, I'm going. It's not enough to think "wouldn't that be nice?".

What would I do today if I were brave?

Posted on September 26, 2005 04:40 PM by travel139.

September 21, 2005

Out Of Control

travel jet blue emergency landing LAX The scary Jet Blue landing this afternoon seemed to top off a month of crazy events.
The world seems to be a bit crazy right now with hurricane Katrina, hurricane Rita, the Jet Blue near plane crash, and tornadoes in Minneapolis. The American Red Cross estimates more than $2 billion needed for emergency needs for Katrina alone. Please keep these people in your prayers.

SNARU.net - Back to Back Disasters

Posted on September 21, 2005 10:06 PM by bcs. .

No More Direct Flights To Rome

travel rome colliseum Tough luck for the Windy City.

I’m sure you will be disheartened to know that American Airlines has discontinued their nonstop service from Chicago O’Hare to Rome.

No more direct flights to Rome

Posted on September 21, 2005 07:41 PM by americ125.

Rita Heads for Gulf Coast

travel hurricane rita Expect major travel disruptions.

The storm is expected to remain a Category 4 storm until it makes landfall, meteorologist Chris Landsea of the National Hurricane Center in Miami said. That’s now predicted for Saturday somewhere between northern Mexico and western Louisiana, most likely in Texas.

Rita, Now Category 4, Heads for Gulf Coast

Posted on September 21, 2005 09:39 AM by mexico136.
Filed in Travel Blog under mexico.

September 20, 2005

The Empire Has No Clothes

travel amtrak car interior Another view on Amtrak funding.

When a free-marketeer presents Amtrak as an example of government waste, I have to wonder what they think of the Interstate Highway System. This is also a government program and the cost has been in the trillions. Toll roads with electronic payment systems may have their place, but where would the United States be if Eisenhower had decided to wait for private enterprise to build the highway system? It is the same place we are headed because of the endless wail for privatizing everything in the past 30 years. Commercial healthcare has not brought us universal coverage. Commercial energy has lowered standards but not price. Commercial transportation needs bailout after bailout. America continues to suffer under this delusion.

The Empire Has no Clothes

Posted on September 20, 2005 07:39 PM by amtrak126.

Simple David vs. Complex Goliath

travel united airlines Some business model differences between United and Jet Blue.

Since I’m a 1K flier on United Airlines, I fly United a lot more than I do Jet Blue. I must be in the minority, because Jet Blue is thriving while much bigger and older United is trying desperately to avoid drowning. How can that be?

Simple David vs. Complex Goliath

Posted on September 20, 2005 06:38 AM by jet bl133.

September 15, 2005

Air France Flies High

travel air france servers Time to break out the champagne.

Meanwhile… Air France is now the world’s largest airline by revenue, and its most profitable. Since its merger with KLM, its net income has jumped to $443 million, while the industry’s nine next-largest airlines collectively lost $8 billion in the nine months ended Dec. 31, 2004.

Frenchies flying high

Posted on September 15, 2005 07:39 PM by Air Fr115.
Filed in Travel Blog under air france.

travel northwest airlines business class Good look at the business of airlines.

I was really hoping that business model transformation at Delta Airlines would work. But as I had feared all along, Delta did not make it, and neither did Northwest Airlines. The example of Delta in particular shows how difficult business model transformations are when legacy issues make certain changes difficult. The traditional US airline companies are burdened with the same challenges that auto companies are. And that is why I would not be surprised to see Ford and GM continuing to be in serious financial trouble.

Airlines may need new business model

Posted on September 15, 2005 10:40 AM by northw137.

September 05, 2005

Continental To Help Out Katrina Victims

travel continental airlines Hurricane Katrina relief efforts need help

Even before the decision was made to open the Dome as a shelter, the mayor began organizing a team of corporate CEOs, leaders of major church congregations and government officials to create a multifaceted relief effort to provide clothing, medicines and long-term shelter for the evacuees. Continental Airlines and Second Baptist Church have pledged to provide thousands of hygiene kits. Drugstore chains, including Wal-Mart, CVS and Walgreen, are setting up free pharmacy services within Reliant Park.

Hometown papers comment on Katrina cleanup

Posted on September 5, 2005 12:39 AM by contin128.
Filed in Travel Blog under continental airlines.

September 03, 2005

From The African American Press

travel amtrak dome car Good point of view on Hurricane Katrina, including the underutilization of Amtrak for evacuation of New Orleans.

We have Amtrak here that could have carried everybody out of town. There were enough school buses that could have evacuated 20,000 people easily, but they just let them be flooded. My son watched 40 buses go underwater - they just wouldn’t move them, afraid they’d be stolen.

What The African American Press Has To Say

Posted on September 3, 2005 07:38 PM by amtrak126.

To Las Vegas

travel las vegas downtown I'll come along!

So the next stop on my adventures is purely recreational. Adrian and I fly out for L.A. on Monday (once the laundry is done) before visiting Las Vegas and then San Diego. I've never been to the States before and, although the thought of another plane flight is depressing me right now, I am looking forward to having fun once I get there. I'll take some pics and try and get online to keep you all up to date - anyone want to come along?

From Arhus To Myhus

Posted on September 3, 2005 08:40 AM by las ve134.
Filed in Travel Blog under las vegas.

Continental Offering Tickets

travel continental airlines jet taxi More on Continental Airlines and Hurricane Katrina.

Continental Airlines has agreed to donate 1,000 tickets to victims of Katrina in order to help them relocate around the country. Considering the sorry state of the airline industry these days, it’s good to see someone stepping up. Let’s hope other companies follow.

Continental offering tickets

Posted on September 3, 2005 12:40 AM by contin128.
Filed in Travel Blog under continental airlines.